The ‘Hôtel de la Chambre’ (Chamber hall)
The Chamber of Deputies is also a public building steeped in history. A slide show demonstrates the exceptional nature of the premises which house the institution.
The first Assembly sits in the Hôtel de Gouvernement (City Hall)
Following independence in 1839, the Assemblée des États (Assembly of States) which later becomes the Chamber of Deputies, sits in the Hôtel de Gouvernement, which is now the Grand-Ducal Palace. Later, the Hôtel de Gouvernement serves as the Grand-Duke’s residence and the Parliament sessions are held at the capital’s City Hall.
The current Chamber building was built between 1858 and 1860
In 1858, the Wirtgen, Baustert, Hernandez and Heynen houses located on Marché-aux-Herbes are demolished in order to make way for the construction of the new Chamber of Deputies. The building is constructed according to the plans of the engineer Antoine Hartmann. It is not connected to the Hôtel de Gouvernement and it has four sides in historicist style, with Gothic, Renaissance, and classical elements.
In 1881, the Chamber of Deputies is extended and renovated
The main works consist in creating adequate spacious galleries. These works make it possible to close the gap between the Chamber and the Hôtel de Gouvernement.
In 1890, the Chamber building is connected to the electricity network, managed by a private company at the time.
During the course of the 20th century, several plans fail
Complaints that the buildings are too small are made almost right from the start and several extension projects are made. In 1934 and 1935, no less than seven extension projects are presented, including the construction of an additional wing along rue de l’Eau and an extension towards Maison Richard (Richard House), with a covered passage to link the two buildings.
None of these projects is carried out, and neither is another extension project dating from 1954. In 1980, the Chamber adopts the government bill providing for the construction of a new Chamber of Deputies on place du Saint-Esprit.
This new building never materialises, mainly due to the economic crisis plaguing Luxembourg at the time.
The Chamber is extended and renovated in the 1980’s and 1990’s
In 1985, the building is extended towards the courtyard of the Grand-Ducal Palace.
Extension and renovation works begin in 1997 and end in 1999. An extension towards the back courtyard enables the installation of technical facilities, new stairs and a lift for the public, as well as an extension of the plenary room. Computers are installed at all of the places reserved for deputies, thus improving electronic communication which is now at the cutting edge of progress.
The parliamentary administration is housed in the Richard, Printz and Wiltheim houses.
In 1958, the Chamber acquires Maison Richard on 14 rue de l’Eau and sets up its administrative offices here. In 1988, the State also buys Maison Printz next door, at number 12 rue de l’Eau. Over the years, the parliamentary administration expands across several buildings, particularly on rue du Saint-Esprit. The first works to renovate Richard and Printz houses begin in 2000 and are completed in 2006. Since August 2006, most of the Chamber’s departments have been located in the renovated complex on the corner of rue de l’Eau and rue du Marché-aux-Herbes. At the end of 2010, the Chamber acquires Maison Wiltheim, a former bank, located opposite Hôtel de la Chambre on place du Marché-aux-Herbes.